Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thursday night babysitting

For the past 9 months, I have been babysitting on Thurs. after school until the parents get home anytime from 7-9.  The kids were in kindergarten (a boy) and 3rd grad (a girl).  I have to say that I have played more Legos than I thought possible.  It would usually start with me being asked to play and then being told to do all the work.  Since Christmas, the boys bedroom has had a small coffee table in his room and it's been covered by his "city." 

The past three weeks we have been building random things for his city.  Three weeks ago it was announced that he had 3 sticks of Lego dynamite and he wasn't sure what he could build.  I mentioned that he could build a building and have it "implode."  We had to watch a video of what really happens and then we built a building with holes to hold the dynamite. 

Last week he wanted to build a drawbridge.  After looking at pictures on the internet for Lego bridges we set out to replicate one.  I built the drawbridge and helped with the moat.  I noticed that he was putting his drawbridge near the museum and I asked him about that.  He said, "Oh it's not a museum.  I closed up shop.  It's out of business.  It's now a bank.  See my ATM machine."  The kid's imagination is unbelievable.

Tonight, I was surprised yet again.  First, I looked for his drawbridge but it had been disassembled.  I noticed that the bank was gone and it was a museum again.  I asked him about it and he said, "Oh, the bank sold and the new owners turned the building back into a museum.  Then, he wanted to build an oil rig and barge.  We had to go down to the computer (surprised?) and look up Lego oil rig sets.  I told him there was no such thing, but I was wrong.  We found out what they should look like as well as pictures of the real thing then we headed upstairs to build.  It looked fantastic.

I am sorry to say that I don't have any pictures.  


No comments:

Post a Comment